Because I’ve been traveling since I was a child, I consider myself to be pretty good at it. My first solo flight was when I was 7 or 8 years old — so I guess you could call me an expert. And although I’ve been doing it forever, I still sometimes get overwhelmed with the long list of things I need to do before I leave.
I recently realized that I have the same routine every time we are getting ready for a trip, whether that be for a few nights or a few weeks. So, to help me (and you!) get organized for our upcoming vacation to Europe, I decided to put together a short checklist of things to do before you leave on a trip.
A WEEK TO A FEW DAYS BEFORE:
- Do laundry (I would suggest doing this 2 days before your trip)
- Start to eat any produce and perishable food you currently have in your kitchen. On the week of your trip, try to limit purchasing groceries, so that you can get rid what you already have a home.
- Get together any necessary travel documents you may need and print out excursion paperwork. (Passports, ID, international drivers license, museum tickets, etc).
- If you are traveling internationally, contact your bank or credit card company to let them know which countries you will be traveling to so that you have no issues abroad.
- Wash your makeup brushes and get your wedding ring cleaned. These are two things I don’t think anyone does enough of!
- If you’ll be gone for a long time, ask a neighbor or family member to keep an eye on your house and ask them to check the mail while you’re gone.
THE DAY BEFORE:
- Eat, throw out, or give away any perishable food items you won’t be able to eat.
- Lay out any clothes you’ll be wearing to the airport.
- Write a sticky note of any last minute items you need to put in your bag before you leave for the airport and stick it on your mirror. (chargers, laptop, toothbrush, hair tools)
- Charge your camera and pack away the charger so you don’t forget it.
- Pack your pets’ things if they will be going somewhere, don’t forget extra food, water bowl, and toys.
- Clean off kitchen counters and any surfaces that could attract bugs.
- Do any pre-travel beauty routine (get your eyebrows, nails, hair done)
- Get some cash from the ATM incase of emergencies.
THE MORNING OF:
- Make your bed (no matter how short or long your trip is, coming home to a clean room is EVERYTHING)
- Wash all dishes and start the dishwasher.
- Gather and pack all your last minute belongings that were on your sticky note.